Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Actor Vishal: Interview

Published in The Hindu Cinema Plus

What is the archetype of a film hero? Swashbuckling, tall, dark, rugged and handsome, brooding looks and a deep, manly voice. Vishal fits into all this, with his swaggering walk and disarming smile. Ideally he should be playing the buccaneering knight in shining armour who rescues a damsel in distress on his white steed or the gallant Romeo who woes his lady love to the ends of the earth. But, Vishal chooses to play a different game, especially in his forthcoming home production, Naan Sigappu Manithan (NSM).

"With Pandiya Nadu, I came out of my comfort zone as an action-oriented, angry young man to a softer character. And, it seemed to have clicked with my viewers. Maybe, my fan base has expanded, too," says Vishal. "Pandiya Nadu has given me the courage to experiment with different roles and when director Thiru narrated to me the story of NSM, I had no hesitation in accepting it."

Unusual subject

Vishal plays a person afflicted by narcolepsy (or hypnolepsy) which is a chronic neurological disorder caused by the brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally. People with narcolepsy often experience disturbed nocturnal sleep (quite often confused with insomnia) and an abnormal daytime sleep pattern. Almost 80% of persons with narcolepsy also has cataplexy which is a sudden occurrence of muscle weakness. In these people, extreme emotions - sadness, anger or happiness will result in instant sleep wherever or whatever situation they are in. Cataplexy without narcolepsy is rare and the cause is unknown.

NSM is all about wishes of a person with this dual disorder. His bucket list consists of several wishes which he wants to attain. Although he is a narcolepsy afflicted person, he is also human and has his desires. In the face of his problems, how does he achieve all this? This situation becomes a great hindrance to the hero's lifestyle - he is unable to undertake any responsibility - that of even walking on the road for fear of falling asleep. How Vishal tackles these situations and overcomes his handicap is what NSM is all about.

"Honestly, I had no clue about this disorder or how a person with it behaves. Thiru had done a lot of research on the subject and I did some Googling too. Hence it was quite a challenge to take it on and enact the scenes," says Vishal. “But it was exciting to do this role and I am sure it will surprise a lot of my viewers. Thiru is attempting a film with an unusual subject for the first time - narcolepsy.  I have known him for many years and, having done two films with him, I am confident of what he can achieve. For me, as well as for him, this was something new and while I had absolutely no reference point for characteristics, Thiru’s research helped.”


Known for his action scenes, for Vishal it is a departure from the norm. "With my earlier films I had established a strong viewership in the second tier markets. When Pandiya Nadu released the film brought in more audiences in the rural areas. NSM is a city-based subject and quite modern in its approach. It is an action thriller with revenge as the main ingredient. In terms of the overall flavour of the film, it will neither be a dark film nor will it be one with messages. In my view, NSM will be a cult film as something like this has not been attempted so far,” says a confident Vishal, who is also the producer of Naan Sigappu Manithan under his own Vishal Film Factory banner.


No comments: