Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Interview: Director Kaushik of Tamil film Adiyum Andamum

Published in The Hindu Cinema Plus

Here is a one good looking director who did not get tempted to act in his own film, despite the fact that his entry into Kollywood was through lead roles and several television serials. "Since 1997 I have acted in four films – Indru Mudhal, Kathal Saregama, Athu Oru Kanakalam, Thoovanam, and the short story series on television, Kathey Neram. But I have always nurtured a desire to direct and having waited many years for the opportunity to come up, I didn't want to make a mess of things by indulging myself to act. Even while acting in films I have always been curious about directing techniques, camera placements, lighting etc and have learnt a lot by just observing and asking questions," says Kaushik whose Adiyum Andamum is releasing on March 14. His stint assisting director Haricharan in a biopic, after his role in the director's Thoovanam, has helped him learn a lot about direction.

The producer and hero of Adiyum Andamum, Ajaay and Kaushik have known each other for some time and when the former launched his own production company in 2010, Kaushik was requested to come up with a script. "Before this I was peddling several ideas to many producers, in vain. When I narrated a basic story line to Ajaay, he immediately showed a keen interest and thereafter, I started working on the script, which eventually became Adiyum Andmum. In Ajaay I found the right actor with the required qualities and temperament, as well as belief in the script. At the end of it all, I must say, that he has brought the character to life, like no other. I think his experience in doing TV serials like Kolangal, has helped a lot. More so, because he wanted to get out of the negative image that was impressed upon him, from the 'Adhi' character in the serial," says Kaushik.

Kaushik is not willing to divulge much about the plot of his film, except to say that viewers will see a totally different side to Ajaay and also identify with the core message of the screenplay. "It is a psychological thriller and, besides Ajaay, the two female characters played by Mitali Agarwal and Kavita Srinivasan are a very integral part of the story. I do not believe in ornamental characters in my films. Of course there will be romance and songs, but these are required to take the screenplay forward to its unexpected climax. When a viewer feels that he has got full satisfaction (paisa vasool) for the 120 bucks he spent on the movie ticket, for me, the film is a commercial success - whether it has item numbers, fights and chases, or not."


Despite the best intentions and sincere efforts, producer Ajaay went through a rough patch half way through the making of Adiyum Andamum, from which he resurrected himself by roping in an investor who came in as a co-producer. "Yes, there was a bit of a delay and during that phase, I was offered another film to direct," says Kaushik who started work on Panivizhum Nilavu.  After Ajaay's project resumed, Kaushik had the tough job of doing double duty to complete both productions simultaneously. "That was a tough period, especially for someone who was directing for the first time. But, the very experience has taught me a lot and I am now ready to take on bigger projects. While I am eagerly awaiting the release of Adiyum Andamum, I am also looking forward to Panivizhum Nilavu hitting the screens, soon thereafter," concludes Kaushik.

1 comment:

Oracle Equipments said...


Good post....thanks for sharing.. very useful for me i will bookmark this for my future needs. Thanks.


Pass Box manufacturers